Pages

Saturday, August 20, 2011

Artist of the day: Su Blackwell

Su Blackwell is an artist and art director, working predominantly within the realm of paper. Her sculptures realise in tangible form the reading experience where small words create large worlds, the page literally jumps out of the book into fantastic ethereal woods, figures and landscapes.

Below are excerpts from her profile.
”I often work within the realm of fairy-tales and folk-lore. I began making a series of book-sculpture, cutting-out images from old books to create three-dimensional diorama’s, and displaying them inside wooden boxes”.
”For the cut-out illustrations, I tend to lean towards young-girl characters, placing them in haunting, fragile settings, expressing the vulnerability of childhood, while also conveying a sense of childhood anxiety and wonder. There is a quiet melancholy in the work, depicted in the material used, and choice of subtle colour.”

After looking at her blog, I realise that I have missed out on a paper workshop course run by the V&A: Fairy tales and fables, Paper art, Sold out! Not that I could go any way..living on the other side of the world..but I would have loved to have done it.


Wildflowers
I would love a dress with butterflies!

No comments:

Post a Comment