Pages

Tuesday, April 10, 2012

The PICA opening dress

Over the Easter break I have been doing a little pattern drafting in order to make myself a newly styled dress for the Hatched opening at PICA. Starting with my favourite pattern V. I used the straight darted toiled pattern as my starting block. I wanted pockets and some sort of variation. For some reason a peg skirt came to mind, sort of fits in with the quasi retro feeling of the original. I also wanted extra length, it's amazing what happens to a skirt when you sit down. The fabric I'm using is a floral cotton (lemon yellow base with turquoise and green flowers) that I bought in Singapore. The trim for the pockets and bodice is a blue green shot silk. The lining is a silk cotton blend in off white. I bought it in one of Tessuti's sales, it has a gorgeous feel.

So changes are:

Side pockets with trim
Peg shaping, 2 pleats on either side at front and top stitched pleats at the back
Below knee hem

No comments:

Post a Comment